• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

yawning at the gym

donkeyPUNCH

Bluelight Crew
I have this issue where every time I go to the gym I can't stop yawning. I'm not really concerned or anything, I'm just curious if this is common or not?

does anyone else yawn a lot more often when they're working out?

no - but you'll appreciate this.

back when i had a gym membership, every morning i'd get on the treadmill and like half way through my jog, this gigantic morning dumpout would hit me out of nowhere and i'd have to stop the damn tread mill and go take a sweaty dump and come back in and finish my run.

now that i don't have a gym membership i have to plan my dumpouts around my jogs or i'll end up having to squat somewhere in the bushes and wipe my ass with my shirt.

something about running that jiggles my poopoo loose and makes me have to deuce out. and there is nothing more disgusting than sitting on the toilet taking a liquid dump while you're sweaty as hell.

I agree with both. Running used to make me poop where I would ring the doorbell of a random person's house pleading to use their bathroom.

and now im a lazy junkie, going to the gym does make me yawn... and its like the life is zapped out of me and i get really cold so i end up sitting in the sauna, showering, then leaving.

there is a misconception about yawning: it doesnt mean you are sleepy.

yawning means you arent getting enough oxygen. normally, when one gets very tired, one starts taking very shallow breaths. the energy required to stay awake requires more oxygen than youre taking in, and thus you yawn.

its likely you dont breathe enough. you cant get enough oxygen when youre working out, no matter what youre doing. if youre lifting weights, you need to feed deep tissues like ligaments, cartilage, connective tissue, deep muscle fibers, with as much oxygen as possible. failure to do so will lessen your growth both short and long term. if youre doing cardio, you need extra oxygen for all of your processes to me moving at such an accelerated rate, and to feed the muscles doing the work.

most westerners are dangerously underinformed on the importance of deep breathing, even when not exercising. the lungs are not a simple organ, when one breathes too shallow one only fills the center part of the lung. a deep, relaxed breath fills the center first, then fills the bottom parts of the lungs. consistently not breathing enough to fill the bottoms allows buildup of particles in the lungs, which leads to a host of problems. after the bottom is filled, the top parts near the collar bones fill as well. once these 3 sections of the lungs are filled with oxygen, the body's metabolism changes somewhat, cells are able to perform their tasks at maximum capacity, and deep recesses of the body that are often close to anoxic, like vital organs or joint areas, are able to function more fluidly and precisely. the muscles and other fleshy tissues receive their fullest portions of energy and nourishment. lack of oxygen, especially on a consistent basis, promotes cellular death (and cancer), poor immune system, slow metabolism, etc. when youre resting in the gym, make sure you feel all 3 areas of the lungs fill up in a relaxed manner. when youre running, take youre breath in deep enough, and when youre weightlifting, take some very deep breaths before you begin a set and dont ever hold youre breath while bearing any kind of load - always be either inhaling or exhaling.

(when i was bodybuilding, i was always cycling air out fast and hard on positive motion and slow and deep on the negative)

google search "deep breathing" and "deep breathing exercises" and "active meditation" for more info. give a few searches for "shallow breathing health effects" or stuff of that nature. nothing in life is more important than breathing well, as breath is the source of all wellness.

i couldnt possibly ever yawn when i train for martial arts. im always cycling such huge, deep breaths, that it could be 6am and i just woke up or 2am and ive been up for 20 hours and my body simply wouldnt be able to yawn while i am breathing so actively. same for weightlifting in a gym, if i yawned, id immediately realize im fucking my body up. sitting down on a couch is a different story.

donkeyPUNCH said:
I have this issue where every time I go to the gym I can't stop yawning. I'm not really concerned or anything, I'm just curious if this is common or not?
Hi dP! :)

This happens to me sometimes. I suspect it's because we're not breathing correctly when we're doing weights. Are you conscious of your breathing when you're lifting weights? Do you hold your breath? If so, you could be yawning due to lack of oxygen/build-up of carbon dioxide.

Make sure you breathe out when you exert yourself, and breathe in when you relax. That's what I do anyway.

*edit* I just saw that rm-rf posted what I said in much better detail!! =D

no - but you'll appreciate this.

back when i had a gym membership, every morning i'd get on the treadmill and like half way through my jog, this gigantic morning dumpout would hit me out of nowhere and i'd have to stop the damn tread mill and go take a sweaty dump and come back in and finish my run.

I agree with both. Running used to make me poop where I would ring the doorbell of a random person's house pleading to use their bathroom.

I run most days of the week, and have been doing so for the last 6 years, and this has NEVER HAPPENED TO ME.

Last edited:
Makes me wonder what their diets consist of. I eat so much fiber / protein / veggies that I'm pretty regular.

you also dont want to rest too much while working out

for weightlifting, you dont want to rest less than 20 seconds between sets, but never any more than 90 seconds. 30-45 seconds between sets is ideal.

between exercises, give yourself about 90-120 seconds. dont go over 2 minutes between exercises, but dont go under one minute.

spend the time between sets and between exercises pacing around a little bit, taking in oxygen as deep as you can get it into your lungs. dont ever sit idly and breathe shallow, always have some motion in your body and breathe deep. youll grow faster, and have more energy to work out, and will feel "refreshed" rather than "wiped out" when you leave the gym.

exercise, no matter what it is, should always leave you feeling better than when you started. if it makes you feel worse, youre doing something wrong.

Yeah I totally forgot I posted this lol, good advice everybody. thanks a lot, usually when I go to the gym I do exactly what woody says not to do lol. I'm going to have to work on my breathing, the rest periods are pretty much where I'm at, but I don't breathe properly during my rest periods nor do I walk around... I usually just sit on the bench and listen to my ipod, breathing normally.

I never feel worse when leaving the gym than I do going in, thats for sure. but I feel like I could be making better use of my time there if I used these breathing techniques.

oh, and thank you CS, for fulfilling your monthly poop story quota here at BL :)